Friday, November 30, 2012

Dear Father /Happy 38th Wedding Anniversary

I wasn’t there when you married my mom, but it must of been something truly special for you to have been together for 28 years. I’m sure you would still of been together til this day if you hadn’t been called home. I’m sure your proud of us. As you know Lindsay is still finding out what she is going do with her life. Lol But you know how that goes. You already know that it was hard to start write this letter, but I felt like I owed this much to you. I wanted to thank you for being the best father next to God himself. You were also a great friend and you kept me encouraged even when I didn’t see a way that I was going to make it through. When I asked you how to write my first love letter at 13 you said, “just write down what’s on your heart.” I took that short and direct advice and write on this blog I leave it all my heart,soul, and words on these posts. I know the day that I get married and I am blessed to have my own children that I’ll be a great father. I learned so much from you and I was able to show how much I learned from you a short time ago. But I guess that wasn’t the direction God wanted me to go in life. I wanted to thank you for all the family meetings on Saturdays even when I wanted to go outside with friends. Doyle is holding his promise to you tighter than ever. The Wicks family is getting bigger and so is The Davis Family as well. I use to watch you making business calls at your desk that had your name on it Danny M. Davis. I always said when I was younger that I wanted a sign with my name on it. I’m still working on that. I remember those trips fishing Saturdays, those walks in the Forrest preserve, Mayfair recitals you were at them all, baseball ball games and wrestling matches you were at them all, one-on-one basketball games , racing you down the street, playing catch baseball or football with you, black jack games, teaching me how to slow dance with my mom to The Temptations, holidays, Sunday night football games The Bears, White Sox games, old school jams played on the record player, all day projects of cleaning up the house, drive in pictures in the brown van, who can forget your t-bone steak no one made it better, your special recipe of eggs n corn ( i didn’t know why but I guess that was your creative side), you introduced me to the group Tape 6, the inhouse campouts putting the hot dogs on a hanger roasting it quality time with the family, family movies lights out (nobody could forget when the twisters were in the back and we couldn’t hear it because the volume was too loud) If memory serves me correctly we was watching The Shining with Jack Nicholson I mean I could go on for years of all the memories that I have of u and our family. But Though I had to take on the role of taking care of the family earlier than I thought at the age of 16 I did. You said “it’s not going to be easy” and if you wasn’t telling the truth. I know this is an overdue letter, but I guess that is because I couldn’t write it til now. I always think about how I didn’t speak at your funeral I didn’t have the strength too. I didn’t want to believe that you were gone my best friend and father was gone. But I wrote you a poem Dear Father and read it at your celebration of life. Well the next time I see you we have a lot to talk about and I’ll fix the root beer floats.
Love Your Bestfriend and Son,
Daniel Jonathan Davis

Read more posts By MiddleSoul
Go to www.middlesoul.tumblr.com
Connect with MiddleSoul on other networks go to www.about.me/danieljdavis2012

No comments:

Post a Comment